Proposal: JDK-8148917 Enhanced-For Statement Should Allow Streams

Stuart Marks stuart.marks at oracle.com
Thu Mar 14 00:45:46 UTC 2019

On 3/12/19 4:32 PM, Ivan Gerasimov wrote:
> If there were two new subtypes of Iterable introduced:  IterableOnce and
> IterableMultipleTimes, then all existing Iterables could be retrofitted to
> implement one of these.
>
> It wouldn't *automatically* solve the problem of 3rd party API, which accepts an
> Iterable and iterates it multiple times, but would provide a means to change
> that API in a straightforward way.
>
> Also, the static analysis tools could issue a suggestion for code that iterates
> Iterable more than once to switch to IterableMultipleTimes, so that it won't be
> possible to pass in an IterableOnce.
>
> It would also allow to strengthen the specification for IterableMultipleTimes
> and state that all classes implementing it must make it possible to obtain
> multiple iterators.

Hi Ivan,

This would be a cleaner type hierarchy, in the sense that it would avoid the
subtype-or-supertype issue that's being discussed in a parallel segment of this
thread. But practically speaking I don't think it adds much value. Most
Iterables can be iterated multiple times; it seems to be the exceptional case
that an Iterable is once-only. (In the JDK, the examples of Scanner and Stream
show that things with once-only behavior avoided implementing Iterable at all.)
While we could migrate the JDK classes to IterableMany (or whatever it would be
called), I think it's unrealistic to expect that all the Iterable
implementations out there in the wild would migrate. We'd thus be left with
Iterable and IterableMany meaning more-or-less the same thing in perpetuity.

By introducing IterableOnce, we can attract retrofits by once-off things (like
Scanner and Streams) and the uncommon occurrences of once-off things like
DirectoryStream that currently implement Iterable can be migrated to
IterableOnce. Everybody else can then just stay on Iterable.

s'marks