RFR 8220684 : Process.waitFor(long, TimeUnit) can return false for a process that exited within the timeout

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Fri Mar 15 00:28:51 UTC 2019

Hi Ivan,

On 15/03/2019 5:49 am, Ivan Gerasimov wrote:
> Hello!
>
> The default implementation of Process.waitFor(long, TimeUnit) does not
> check if the process has exited after the last portion of the timeout
> has expired.

Please clarify. There is always a race between detecting a timeout and
the process actually terminating. If the process actually terminates
while you're deciding to report a timeout that seems just  an acceptable
possibility. No matter what you do the process could terminate just
after you decided to report the timeout.

David
-----