RFR: JDK-8216558: Lookup.unreflectSetter(Field) fails to throw IllegalAccessException for final fields

Adam Farley8 adam.farley at uk.ibm.com
Mon Mar 25 18:04:06 UTC 2019

Hi Joe,

I've read your reply, and I apologise for any offence my inquiry has
caused.

My intent was only to ask for information.

I would now like to refocus on the bug at hand.

Do you, or Mandy, have a position in regards to the response I sent a few
days ago?

https://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/core-libs-dev/2019-March/059191.html

Also, I have read the guide (finally), and I see the tests should have a
bug tag. I'll add that now, in a versioned webrev.

Best Regards

Adam Farley
IBM Runtimes

Joe Darcy <joe.darcy at oracle.com> wrote on 25/03/2019 17:34:42:

> From: Joe Darcy <joe.darcy at oracle.com>
> To: Adam Farley8 <adam.farley at uk.ibm.com>
> Cc: core-libs-dev <core-libs-dev at openjdk.java.net>, Mandy Chung
> <mandy.chung at oracle.com>
> Date: 25/03/2019 17:35
> Subject: Re: RFR: JDK-8216558: Lookup.unreflectSetter(Field) fails
> to throw IllegalAccessException for final fields
>
> On 3/25/2019 4:50 AM, Adam Farley8 wrote:
> Hiya Joe,
>
> Response below,
>
> Joe Darcy <joe.darcy at oracle.com> wrote on 22/03/2019 17:05:33:
>
> > From: Joe Darcy <joe.darcy at oracle.com>
> > To: Adam Farley8 <adam.farley at uk.ibm.com>
> > Cc: core-libs-dev <core-libs-dev at openjdk.java.net>, Mandy Chung
> > <mandy.chung at oracle.com>
> > Date: 22/03/2019 17:06
> > Subject: Re: RFR: JDK-8216558: Lookup.unreflectSetter(Field) fails
> > to throw IllegalAccessException for final fields
> >
> > Hi Adam,
> > On 3/22/2019 9:14 AM, Adam Farley8 wrote:
> > Hi Joe,
> >
> > I was aware that webrevs should be versioned, though I didn't see
> > the value for small change sets like this one.
> >
> > You seem to think there is a value. Can you explain it to me?
>

> > The time of reviewers is valuable and should not be dissipated in
> > unnecessary attempts to determine what aspects of feedback have been
> > acted upon.
> > -Joe
>
> Ah, that makes sense.
>
> If I supplied a diff-of-diffs, would that help?
>
> To show the difference between two diffs, I mean, so it's clear whatI
changed.

> How about when multiple senior reviewers in OpenJDK ask you to
> follow common project conventions on versioned reviews, conventions
> they follow themselves (http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~darcy/), your
> opening position is comply with the request (perhaps asking for a
> rationale or offering additional alternatives) rather asking for a
> personal justification or exception?
> -Joe
Unless stated otherwise above:
741598.