RFR: JDK-8227715: GPLv2 files missing Classpath Exception

Adam Farley8 adam.farley at uk.ibm.com
Mon Oct 7 12:51:18 UTC 2019

Good idea Joe. :)

I've added Sergey, Lana, Magnus, and Alan, all of whom seem to have at
least a passing connection to these files in terms of commits.

Sergey, Lana, Magnus, and Alan: Four of the files in jdk8u appear to have
a GPLv2 header without the usual Classpath Exception.

--
jdk/make/src/classes/build/tools/generatelsrequivmaps/EquivMapsGenerator.java

-- jdk/make/src/native/add_gnu_debuglink/add_gnu_debuglink.c
-- jdk/make/src/native/fix_empty_sec_hdr_flags/fix_empty_sec_hdr_flags.c
-- jdk/src/macosx/native/jobjc/JObjC.xcodeproj/default.pbxuser

Can we please ask for your opinions on whether the CE should be added for
some/all of these files in 8u, and whether you'd be prepared to
review/sponsor such a change?

The points raised thus far:

- The Oracle nature of the header means an Oracle employee should approve
of any change.
- Not all of these files wind up in a build, so some may only need to be
considered as source.

Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~afarley/8227715/webrev/

Best Regards

Adam Farley
IBM Runtimes

<adam.farley at uk.ibm.com>
> > Cc: jdk-updates-dev at openjdk.java.net, Java Core Libs <core-libs-
> > dev at openjdk.java.net>
> > Date: 03/10/2019 23:32
> > Subject: Re: RFR: JDK-8227715: GPLv2 files missing Classpath Exception

> > It is customary to have the license of a file be updated from someone
> > affiliated with the copyright holder of the file.
> >
> > -Joe
> >
> > On 10/3/2019 1:42 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > > * Adam Farley8:

> exception from the

u=https-3A__bugs.openjdk.java.net_browse_JDK-2D8227715&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> > siA1ZOg&r=P5m8KWUXJf-

CeVJc0hDGD9AQ2LkcXDC0PMV9ntVw5Ho&m=jo4J6W8_4sPdQyNGe-2X5R1x2eVgCKicxn2kjVwOUAQ&s=wcAkx_ZeKWB613imZ6cEieXyslKznP3D1_RhlLl9uyc&e=

u=http-3A__cr.openjdk.java.net_-7Eafarley_8227715_webrev_&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> > siA1ZOg&r=P5m8KWUXJf-

CeVJc0hDGD9AQ2LkcXDC0PMV9ntVw5Ho&m=jo4J6W8_4sPdQyNGe-2X5R1x2eVgCKicxn2kjVwOUAQ&s=kS-
> > rJ0RYE_QlLRThKVPu5A3mooj1xWNheeAy1HLxTVs&e=
> > > All these files are not used at run time, so this could be
deliberate.

> Unless stated otherwise above:
> number 741598.
3AU