RFR: JDK-8232773: ClassLoading Debug Output for Specific Classes

Adam Farley8 adam.farley at uk.ibm.com
Tue Oct 22 15:42:42 UTC 2019

Hi David,

I didn't, no. Thanks for pointing it out. :)

I see this tells us where the class comes from, much like
"-verbose:class".

So it's useful when a class can be successfully loaded, but
doesn't tell us which classloaders tried to load the class,
nor where they looked, etc.

Something I could have done a better job conveying was that
the core question this debugging is meant to answer is:

"Why didn't OpenJDK load the class I wanted it to?"

"-Xlog:class+load" seems very useful for finding where a
class came from, which answers the "loading the wrong version
of a class" problem, but does not seem to give us
information in the case of class loading failure.

Also, thanks for moving the bug to the correct component. :)

Best Regards

Adam Farley
IBM Runtimes

David Holmes <david.holmes at oracle.com> wrote on 22/10/2019 14:12:55:

> From: David Holmes <david.holmes at oracle.com>
> To: Adam Farley8 <adam.farley at uk.ibm.com>, Java Core Libs <core-
> libs-dev at openjdk.java.net>
> Date: 22/10/2019 14:14
> Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: RFR: JDK-8232773: ClassLoading Debug Output
> for Specific Classes
>
> Hi Adam,
>
> Did you look at the logging available from the VM: -Xlog:class+load?
>
> BTW I moved the bug you filed to the correct component.
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
> On 22/10/2019 8:40 pm, Adam Farley8 wrote:
> > Hey All,
> >
> > This one goes out to anyone who's struggled to figure out
> > why OpenJDK isn't loading their class.
> >
> > The requirement is for OpenJDK to give more detailed
> > information while loading user-specified classes (e.g. the
> > one OpenJDK is failing to load). Some debug information is
> > available while the loading is in-progress, and more is
> > available after the fact, but it seems there is not a way
> > to monitor what the ClassLoaders are actually doing without
> > the use of debugging tools.
> >
> > For your approval: a formal write-up of the problem (as
> > I understand it), and a draft webrev containing the
> > proposed solution.
> >
> > Tests will be developed and added if/when the issue is
> > accepted as a problem, and a solution has been selected.
> >
> > Please review and opine.
> >
> > Bug: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?

u=https-3A__bugs.openjdk.java.net_browse_JDK-2D8232773&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> siA1ZOg&r=P5m8KWUXJf-

CeVJc0hDGD9AQ2LkcXDC0PMV9ntVw5Ho&m=evj-5Q-0QflLNXj0WL5j9WrCHzNRovUvazY9IH_qNkI&s=WEfc_wG4s2o_lhOKcZOykIG0RNybBiMMVbKIzmrlY3k&e=

> > Webrev: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?

u=http-3A__cr.openjdk.java.net_-7Eafarley_8232773_webrev_&d=DwICaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-
> siA1ZOg&r=P5m8KWUXJf-

CeVJc0hDGD9AQ2LkcXDC0PMV9ntVw5Ho&m=evj-5Q-0QflLNXj0WL5j9WrCHzNRovUvazY9IH_qNkI&s=jDSMDaCpBBZcYMU-