[jdk17] RFR: 8067223: [TESTBUG] Rename Whitebox API package

David Holmes dholmes at openjdk.java.net
Thu Jul 29 01:59:34 UTC 2021

On Thu, 29 Jul 2021 01:30:37 GMT, Vladimir Kozlov <kvn at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Hi all,
>>
>> could you please review this big tedious and trivial(-ish) patch which moves `sun.hotspot.WhiteBox` and related classes to `jdk.test.whitebox` package?
>>
>> the majority of the patch is the following substitutions:
>>  - `s~sun/hotspot/WhiteBox~jdk/test/whitebox/WhiteBox~g`
>>  - `s/sun.hotspot.parser/jdk.test.whitebox.parser/g`
>>  - `s/sun.hotspot.cpuinfo/jdk.test.whitebox.cpuinfo/g`
>>  - `s/sun.hotspot.code/jdk.test.whitebox.code/g`
>>  - `s/sun.hotspot.gc/jdk.test.whitebox.gc/g`
>>  - `s/sun.hotspot.WhiteBox/jdk.test.whitebox.WhiteBox/g`
>>
>> testing: tier1-4
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -- Igor
>
> I know that tests fixes could be pushed during RDP2 without approval.
> But these one is very big and it is not a fix - it is enhancement.
>
> What is the reason you want to push it into JDK 17 just few days before first Release Candidate? Instead of pushing it into JDK 18.
>
> And I can't even review it because GutHub UI hangs on these big changes.

I agree with @vnkozlov this too big and disruptive for 17 at this stage of the release.

I also think a better approach to this cleanup would have been to copy the WhiteBox class to the new package structure, then update the tests in chunks, then remove the old WhiteBox classes when that is complete.

Thanks,
David