[External] : Re: ReversibleCollection proposal

dfranken.jdk at gmail.com dfranken.jdk at gmail.com
Sun May 9 10:13:58 UTC 2021

When I thought about Collection's role in the hierarchy, it seemed to
me that 'Collection' is an interface for describing how elements are
stored in a cardboard box (we can and and remove them) and that we
might need a different, yet related, interface to describe how to
retrieve the items from the box. This way we are not tied to the
Collection hierarchy and we could have one Set implementation which is
ordered and another Set implementation which is not and they would both
still implement Collection, but only one would implement the interface.

Imagine an interface like 'java.lang.OrderedEnumerable` if you will
with methods such as 'first(), last(), etc', then each implementation
would be free to choose to implement the interface or not. I also
thought about 'OrderedIterable', but there would be too much confusion
with 'Iterable', but I think these are related too. Retrieving items is
an iteration problem, not a storage problem.

While I would love to see the Collection hierarchy redesigned to also
allow for ImmutableCollection which for instance would not have an
`add(T e)` method, I don't think we can simply do something like that
without breaking too many things.

So in short, separating retrieval aspects from storage aspects with a
different interface might be the way to go.

Kind regards,

Dave Franken