RFR: 8243287: Removal of Unsafe::defineAnonymousClass [v3]

Mandy Chung mchung at openjdk.java.net
Wed May 12 02:50:58 UTC 2021

On Tue, 11 May 2021 14:13:49 GMT, Harold Seigel <hseigel at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Please review this large change to remove Unsafe::defineAnonymousClass().  The change removes dAC relevant code and changes a lot of tests.  Many of the changed tests need renaming.  I hope to do this in a follow up RFE.  Some of the tests were modified to use hidden classes, others were deleted because either similar hidden classes tests already exist or they tested dAC specific functionality, such as host classes.
>>
>> This change was tested with Mach5 tiers 1-2 on Linux, Mac OS, and Windows, and Mach5 tiers 3-7 on Linux x64.
>>
>> Thanks, Harold
>
> Harold Seigel has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   fix GetModuleTest.java

I reviewed java.base and took a pass on the test changes.  Here are some comments:

test/hotspot/jtreg/runtime/HiddenClasses/TestHiddenClassUnloading.java has this comment:

+// This is based on test compiler/classUnloading/anonymousClass/TestAnonymousClassUnloading.java

This comment can be removed as this test will be removed.   A few tests under  test/hotspot/jtreg/runtime/HiddenClasses also have similar comment that should be removed.

test/hotspot/jtreg/vmTestbase/vm/mlvm/anonloader/func/castToGrandparent/Test.java
test/hotspot/jtreg/vmTestbase/vm/mlvm/anonloader/func/classNameInStackTrace/Test.java
- I think these tests are already well covered by test/hotspot/jtreg/runtime/HiddenClasses/CastToParentTest.java
and test/hotspot/jtreg/runtime/HiddenClasses/HiddenClassStack.java
- I suggest to copy the description from the anonloader tests to these hidden class tests

test/hotspot/jtreg/vmTestbase/vm/mlvm/anonloader/share/StressClassLoadingTest.java
   - test/hotspot/jtreg/runtime/HiddenClasses/StressClassLoadingTest.java is a subset of this test.  Should we remove test/hotspot/jtreg/runtime/HiddenClasses/StressClassLoadingTest.java?

test/jdk/java/lang/invoke/VMAnonymousClass.java
- FYI.  I have added a new test to verify hidden class (see JDK-8266925)