JDK-8246677 caused 16x performance regression in OpenJDK Tip SynchronousQueue

Astigeevich, Evgeny eastig at amazon.co.uk
Fri May 21 10:38:52 UTC 2021

Hi Alan,

I was benchmarking SynchronousQueue from the OpenJDK Tip on Linux. I found its performance is 16 times lower than the performance of SynchronousQueue from OpenJDK 11. The regression exists on Linux x86_64 and Linux aarch64. Comparing SynchronousQueue implementations I found the OpenJDK Tip SynchronousQueue is changed by PR https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/1645 (JDK-8246677<https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8246677>). Reverting SynchronousQueue to the version before the PR fixes the regression. I cannot find any performance data backing the PR.

I raised a JBS issue: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8267502
It has details how to reproduce the issue.

As we are approaching JDK 17 Rampdown Phase One (2021/06/10), could the issue be triaged?

Thanks,
Evgeny Astigeevich

Amazon Development Centre (London) Ltd. Registered in England and Wales with registration number 04543232 with its registered office at 1 Principal Place, Worship Street, London EC2A 2FA, United Kingdom.