RFR: 8272600: (test) Use native "sleep" in Basic.java [v3]

Roger Riggs rriggs at openjdk.java.net
Wed Sep 1 15:15:52 UTC 2021

On Sat, 28 Aug 2021 02:34:48 GMT, Roger Riggs <rriggs at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> The intermittent test in java/lang/ProcessBuilder/Basic.java has identified unexpected messages from a child Java VM
>> as the cause of the test failure.  Attempts to control the output of the child VM have failed, the VM is unrepentant .
>>
>> There is no functionality in the child except to wait long enough for the test to finish and the child is destroyed.
>> The fix is to switch from using a Java child to using a native child; a new executable `sleepmillis`.
>
> Roger Riggs has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>
>   Revised to use native /bin/sleep program on Unix* (non-Windows).
>   For Windows, a native "BasicSleep" program is used.

I've had very inconsistent results using the Windows 'timeout' command.
There appear to multiple versions.  Some give an error message "Type "TIMEOUT /?" for usage.", (Windows 10)
others a error message "Try 'timeout --help' for more information."  (Windows 2016)
And in some cases, it does not appear to wait the entire time requested and one of the test fails.