RFR: 8273111: Default timezone should return zone ID if /etc/localtime is valid but not canonicalization on linux

Wu Yan wuyan at openjdk.java.net
Thu Sep 2 13:58:36 UTC 2021

On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 12:38:38 GMT, Alan Bateman <alanb at openjdk.org> wrote:

> I haven't come across this configuration like but changing it to use realpath seem reasonable.

Thanks, this scenario comes from our customers.

> Using `realpath` instead of `readlink` will change results on systems which use symbolic links instead of hard links to de-duplicate the timezone files. For example, on Debian, if `UTC` is configured (`/etc/localtime` points to `/usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC`), I think the result will be `Etc/UTC` instead of `UTC` after this change. But I have not actually tested this.

We tested it on ubuntu, it does have this kind of problem, thank you for your reminder. `realpath` doesn't seem to be suitable here, maybe we could directly process the previous `linkbuf` to remove the extra'.' and'/'.
> The change looks reasonable. Please test your fix with macOS as well.

Thanks, the test on macOS is passed.