RFR: 8273314: Add tier4 test groups

Igor Ignatyev iignatyev at openjdk.java.net
Sat Sep 4 03:16:52 UTC 2021

On Fri, 3 Sep 2021 18:40:14 GMT, Aleksey Shipilev <shade at openjdk.org> wrote:

> > > <...> I have excluded `vmTestbase` and `hotspot:tier4`<...>  I have also excluded `applications` from `hotspot:tier4` <...>
> >

> > assuming the goal of tier4 is to catch the rest of the tests, I don't think we should exclude `vmTestbase`, `applications` or any other tests from tier4. unless you also want to create tier5 for them.
>
> Apart from practicality of using `tier4`, I think `vmTestbase` and `applications` are separate test suites in their own right. `tier4` is catching all the assorted Hotspot tests that are not part of larger suites. Makes sense?

to some extent. I agree that `applications` tests can/should be seen as a separate test suite, yet I differ on `vmTestbase` as the end goal for `vmTestbase` tests is (and always was) to become just another test within hotspot jtreg test suite, hence I don't think we should treat them any different than other jtreg tests. there is also a plan (which I need to formalize and share w/ a broader audience) to rearrange `vmTestbase` tests so they will be placed within the corresponding component subdirectories, which would bring us closer to the end goal and at the same time make it slightly harder to select all `vmTestbase` tests.

-- Igor