RFR: 8273101: Eliminate the usage of threadgroup sandboxing in the java.util.logging

Alan Bateman alanb at openjdk.java.net
Mon Sep 6 09:42:47 UTC 2021

On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 06:31:16 GMT, Sergey Bylokhov <serb at openjdk.org> wrote:

> The "java.util.logging.LogManager" class uses the "threadgroup sandboxing" via an AppContext to support "applet logging isolation". The AppContext class became useless since the plugin and webstart are no longer supported and removed in jdk11.
>
> This is the request to delete the usage of AppContext in the LogManager and related tests.
>
> Tested by tier1/tier2/tier3 and jdk_desktop tests.

No objection to removing this legacy/unused code but I think it would be useful to useful to have the JBS issue or the PR summary provide a bit more context. As I see it, this is just one piece of the overall cleanup and I assume there are more substantive changes to the java.desktop module coming, is that right?