RFR: 8273315: Parallelize and increase timeouts for java/foreign/TestMatrix.java test

Aleksey Shipilev shade at openjdk.java.net
Tue Sep 7 14:54:35 UTC 2021

On Tue, 7 Sep 2021 14:30:41 GMT, Maurizio Cimadamore <mcimadamore at openjdk.org> wrote:

> So, what is the policy for defining developers tests that are not meant to be ran on every build infra, but are meant to be run on a more casual basis by developers working in a particular area? When we added TestMatrix we made sure to exclude it from the relevant groups.

Honestly, I don't know. Maybe there is some jtreg keyword that gates the automatic execution? From the jtreg perspective, either automatic system or human invocation must look the same, so it has to be some external input.

Personally, I was always under impression that if I add a regression test to the source tree, somebody would eventually run it. Hotspot even has the catch-all `hotspot_all` test group for this. JDK does not have a catch-all test group, but I would not be surprised if such test group existed.

> So, I understand you have a fix which parallelize the test execution (great!), but it seems like we're talking past each other a bit, in the sense that you (or any other) should have never picked up this test in an automatic test run in the first place.

Right. But I don't think the test execution policy discussion is that relevant for the test improvement in question. Do we want those who *do* run this test manually/occasionally enjoy the improved run time due to better parallelism? If so, please consider this PR on this merit alone.