[External] : Re: What causes java.lang.InternalError: platform encoding not initialized ?

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Tue Sep 21 15:40:21 UTC 2021

On 21/09/2021 15:54, Andy Herrick wrote:

> I found the problem in
> open/src/jdk.jpackage/windows/native/applauncher/WinLauncher.cpp
>
> we call SetDllDirectory() with the path to the bin dir in the default
> runtime directory, not the actual runtime directory.
>
> since on Windows we never use other than the default runtime location
> - we had not seen a problem, but is bug I will file and fix.

Good to see that you found it quickly. However I'm puzzled as why
initializingEncoding wasn't called, I would have expected the VM to blow
up during early startup. Would you have cycles to dig into that a bit
more in case something has been masked, like for example an exception
being swallowed.  Running with -Xlog:exceptions might reveal something.

-Alan