RFR: 8288589: Files.readString ignores encoding errors for UTF-16

Naoto Sato naoto at openjdk.org
Fri Jun 17 16:34:52 UTC 2022

On Fri, 17 Jun 2022 10:43:31 GMT, Alan Bateman <alanb at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Files.readString has been broken several times by the changes in to String in this area. Would it be possible to survey the tests that we have for this method, esp. the error cases, to see if we need more tests.

I looked for similar test cases but ended up finding nothing. Thus I created a new test case here. Problem is that they are issued through `SharedSecrets`, which are effectively *APIs* but treated as private methods which leads to insufficient testing. I now think that I would add not only b2c test, but also c2b test (for getBytesNoRepl() method) is needed. I will modify the test case to include it.

BTW, I found a spec bug in `Files.writeString()` w/o `Charset` argument, where the `@throws` clause reads: "[IOException](https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://download.java.net/java/early_access/jdk19/docs/api/java.base/java/io/IOException.html__;!!ACWV5N9M2RV99hQ!KboVU1MBg56sylrGOkI7-hqJs9RQOLKUEejCyalJMNSXnmMUGsWmw_UdcI3MAQoK6xhmE-5MlPGfAoMi3zyK5Q$ ) - if an I/O error occurs writing to or creating the file, or the text cannot be encoded using the specified charset", but there is no specified charset there.