RFR: 8338021: Support saturating vector operators in VectorAPI [v2]

Jasmine Karthikeyan jkarthikeyan at openjdk.org
Thu Aug 15 03:03:49 UTC 2024

On Mon, 12 Aug 2024 06:29:03 GMT, Jatin Bhateja <jbhateja at openjdk.org> wrote:

> its usage in existing patch is limited to [type comparison.](https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/pull/20507/files#diff-3559dcf23b719805be5fd06fd5c1851dbd8f53e47afe6d99cba13a3de0ebc6b2R1542)

Ah, that makes sense to me. I took a closer look and I think since the patch is creating a `VectorReinterpret` node after unsigned vector nodes, it might be able to avoid cases where the type might get filtered/joined, like with `PhiNode::Value`. That might lead to errors since `empty_type->filter(other_type) == TOP`. It's unfortunate that it's not really possible to disambiguate between an empty type and an unsigned range, which would allow us to solve this elegantly.