RFR: 8336843: Deprecate java.util.zip.ZipError for removal

Lance Andersen lancea at openjdk.org
Sun Aug 25 13:39:03 UTC 2024

On Sat, 24 Aug 2024 17:22:28 GMT, Chen Liang <liach at openjdk.org> wrote:

> I think linking to the CSR would be fine, but there is no prerequisite for API specs to link to CSRs. Need @jddarcy to double check here. I was emulating `Thread.stop`:
>
> https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/5671f836039ef1683e3e9ce5b7cf0fa2f1860e2d/src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/Thread.java#L1637

I am not suggesting link to the CSR, what I was indicating the CSR provides more details  because of the proposed removal.

Comparing to `Thread::stop` is not quite the same, and  the verbiage you are pointing to above was added when the method was [degraded to throw a UOE](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8277861), not  when it was [deprecated for removal](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8277861)

The overall usage of ZipError is extremely minimal in the wild at best, from what I can tell was in a catch statement and was not documented to be thrown by any public  API, though was thrown by ZipFile's internal ZipEntryIterator::next

If this was a more heavily used Exception, it would probably warrant further consideration for additional documentation, I am not convinced it is needed here