RFR: 8338017: Add AOT command-line flag aliases [v2]

Ioi Lam iklam at openjdk.org
Thu Aug 29 22:14:20 UTC 2024

On Thu, 29 Aug 2024 05:10:41 GMT, David Holmes <dholmes at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> src/java.base/share/native/libjli/java.c line 1521:
>>
>>> 1519:             dumpSharedSpaces = JNI_TRUE;
>>> 1520:         }
>>> 1521:         if (JLI_StrCmp(arg, "-XX:AOTMode=create") == 0) {
>>
>> This is inappropriate - the launcher does not, and should not, process hotspot -XX options. Any aliasing should happen in the hotspot argument processing logic.
>
> I realize this poses a problem with communicating to the launcher that this is a "terminal" flag. Maybe AOT should have -X flags instead of -XX?

Hi David, thanks for the review. After off-line discussion, I think it's best to remove this check from the launcher, and exit the JVM directly when `-XX:AOTMode=create` is specified. This is the same way as how `-Xlog:help` is handled. See

https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/b711c41d442fc369a84745c0203db638e0b7e671/src/hotspot/share/runtime/arguments.cpp#L2588-L2591