RFR: 8324433: Introduce a way to determine if an expression is evaluated as a constant by the Jit compiler

Quan Anh Mai qamai at openjdk.org
Tue Jan 23 09:30:26 UTC 2024

On Tue, 23 Jan 2024 08:16:07 GMT, Aleksey Shipilev <shade at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> This patch introduces `JitCompiler::isConstantExpression` which can be used to statically determine whether an expression has been constant-folded by the Jit compiler, leading to more constant-folding opportunities. For example, it can be used in `MemorySessionImpl::checkValidStateRaw` to eliminate the lifetime check on global sessions without imposing additional branches on other non-global sessions. This is inspired by `std::is_constant_evaluated` in C++.
>>
>> Please kindly give your opinion as well as your reviews, thanks very much.
>
> Nice. I had a similar thing stashed in my todo queue. Note that there is already `isCompileConstant` that does similar thing: https://github.com/openjdk/jdk/blob/5a74c2a67ebcb47e51732f03c4be694bdf920469/src/hotspot/share/opto/library_call.cpp#L8189-L8193 -- maybe we should just expose that more widely. I would suggest we just do the private `java.lang.{Integer,...}.isCompileConstant` methods and bind them to that intrinsic.

@shipilev Thanks a lot for your suggestions. Yes I can just use `inline_isCompileConstant` instead.

Regarding the place of the method, I'm not really sure as putting in `java.lang.Long` seems out-of-place for an internal mechanism that is obviously not only used in `java.lang`, which will force a new entry in `JavaLangAccess`. Finally, I think accepting a `long` would be enough (maybe `double`, too?) since `int`, `boolean` etc can be converted losslessly to `long`.