java.util.zip.ZipError seems unused

Eirik Bjørsnøs eirbjo at gmail.com
Sun Jun 30 07:20:34 UTC 2024

Hi!

The java.util.zip.ZipError class seems unused in OpenJDK. I assume this is
legacy from the native ZIP implementation in Java 8.

This exception class extends InternalError and seems to have been added in
Java 6 to help compatibility with existing code catching InternalError
(JDK-4615343)

This change also introduced the TestZipError test, which verified that
ZipError was thrown while enumerating a ZIP file which was changed after
being opened. The reimplementation of the ZIP implementation to Java
(JDK-8145260) updated this test to expect a ZipException instead of the
ZipError.

Given that this class has now fallen out of use in OpenJDK, should we:

1: Deprecate it
2: Deprecate it for removal
3: Do nothing, keeping it around has a low cost
4: Something else

It would also be useful if someone with access to a large code corpus could
search for usages of this class so we could assess compatibility concerns
of removing it.

Thanks,
Eirik.