RFR: 8328037: Test java/util/Formatter/Padding.java has unnecessary high heap requirement after JDK-8326718 [v2]

Christoph Langer clanger at openjdk.org
Wed Mar 13 14:10:29 UTC 2024

> 4f336085d1098e7fba7b58f0a73c028179a2a13d ([JDK-8326718](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8326718)) added a few cases to test java/util/Formatter/Padding.java with huge Strings as arguments. Since all possible argument combinations for the test are stored in one array, nothing can be garbage collected while the test is running and the heap requirement is blown up.
>
> In one of our test pipelines we run tier1 tests with VMs that default to 384M of heap and this is not sufficient any longer.
>
> I'm improving this by splitting the one large @ParameterizedTest into multiple ones. With that, I could run the test successfully in a test VM with 96M of heap, e.g. by modifying `@run junit Padding` to `@run junit/othervm -Xmx96m Padding`

Christoph Langer has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:

  Generate large strings in parameter generator methods

Changes:
  - all: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18264/files
  - new: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/18264/files/8e3e9509..be84e5e8

Webrevs: