RFR: JDK-8327474 Review use of java.io.tmpdir in jdk tests [v2]

Bill Huang bhuang at openjdk.org
Thu Mar 21 16:54:21 UTC 2024

On Thu, 21 Mar 2024 14:41:36 GMT, Jaikiran Pai <jpai at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Bill Huang has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional commit since the last revision:
>>
>>   Implemented review comments
>
> test/jdk/com/sun/management/HotSpotDiagnosticMXBean/CheckOrigin.java line 57:
>
>> 55:
>> 56:             File flagsFile = File.createTempFile("CheckOriginFlags", null);
>> 57:             flagsFile.deleteOnExit();
>
> Hello Bill, jtreg uses a scratch directory when running tests. When a test is launched, the current working directory points to the scratch directory for the test that's currently executing. jtreg manages the lifecycle of scratch directories and even cleans them up (as necessary).
> Would it instead be better to just create the temporary file within the jtreg scratch directory (represented by the current working directory)? That way you could just do:
>

> File flagsFile = Files.createTempFile(Path.of("."), "CheckOriginFlags", null).toFile();
>
> and don't need any explicit deletions?

Hi Jaikiran, I think both solutions work for this bug. I personally prefer to place the files in the scratch directory for the ease of debugging.
In addition, for this specific test, I am considering using File.createTempFile("CheckOriginaFlags", null, Path.of(".").toFile) instead of Files.createTempFile for consistency purposes, as Files.createTempFile may have more restrictive access permissions.