[crac] RFR: Resize ForkJoinPool and some concurrent data structures

Dan Heidinga heidinga at openjdk.org
Fri Mar 24 14:36:06 UTC 2023

On Fri, 24 Mar 2023 13:55:22 GMT, Radim Vansa <duke at openjdk.org> wrote:

> If those changes are backported it should happen in 17-dev and only then propagate to CRaC, otherwise it stops being clear what contributes to CRaC implementation. Do you think the backport would be accepted in main 17-dev when it extends the API with another method?

I'm not a 17-dev committer or maintainer so please take my response with a grain of salt.

I'd be surprised if there was support for backporting these changes to 17-dev given they don't address an issue commonly experienced by jdk17 users and this would be effectively adding new functionality to a long-since shipped release which may change performance / behaviour of a critical component of the release.

Having said that, I still think it makes sense to back port them to the CRaC project as we'll need to eventually merge CRaC into the mainline development branches.  That gives us more leeway to take on extra patches that ease that eventual merge.