encumbrances update

Kelly O'Hair Kelly.Ohair at Sun.COM
Thu Aug 9 17:22:17 UTC 2007

I thought it was clear from the beginning, perhaps I wasn't making this
as well known as I should. If so, my aplogies.

It was never expected that the initial OpenJDK source drops would be buildable
on Windows. We focused on Linux and OpenSolaris and purposely left out
Windows due to the t2k issue, and knowing that the team working on this
was very close to removing it as a dependence, we felt this was justfified.
So that fact that it has never built on Windows was well known, I thought.

While I was trying to make t2k.lib available in the binary plugs, another team
was busy trying to remove it completely. So you can't say we haven't been trying
to deal with this issue.

It is pretty impossible to guarantee builds will be successful in all
possible configurations, but once we get past the basic issues, we will
do regular test builds of OpenJDK on Windows. But speaking from years of
experience, Windows is a difficult platform to get consistent and reliable.
Just because we can build on Windows isn't worth as much as saying it for
Linux or OpenSolaris.

-kto