Source tarballs

Andreas Sterbenz Andreas.Sterbenz at Sun.COM
Tue Dec 11 00:21:50 UTC 2007

Xiomara Jayasena wrote:

> We really didn't see the need, hence we decided to get rid of them.  It
> seems anyone working in JDK 7 may need to become familiar with hg --
> that said I appreciate your input.  Here at Sun we will no longer be
> using the tarred source and expect engineers to do clones and that is
> the same expectation for developers outside of Sun.   If many people
> think this is crucial then the decision can be re-evaluated.

It is still possible to get source tarballs - by going to
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/ . Just click on the zip/gz/bz2 link next to
the desired repository to get the tip (e.g.
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk7/jdk7/archive/tip.tar.bz2) or navigate to
the changeset or tag you like and follow the download link (e.g.
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk7/jdk7/rev/0a5c5386a678).

The only thing it doesn't do is understand forests, so you have to
download the source for each of the seven repositories in the forest
separately (/if/ you really want them all).

Andreas.