svn repo url on web site pointing to docs instead of sources

Mark Reinhold mr at sun.com
Fri Jul 27 04:07:41 UTC 2007

> Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:32:27 +0200
> From: Dalibor Topic <robilad at kaffe.org>

> the example given in https://openjdk.dev.java.net/source/browse/openjdk/
>
> svn checkout https://openjdk.dev.java.net/svn/openjdk/trunk openjdk
> --username username
>
> only checks out the documentation,

In particular, it only checks out the old openjdk.dev.java.net web
content, which has been superseded by openjdk.java.net for everything
except... svn.

>				     but not the source code. To check out
> the source code, the example should read
>
>   svn checkout https://openjdk.dev.java.net/svn/openjdk/jdk/trunk
> openjdk --username username
>
> I can't find the page in the SVN for www pages, so I don't know where to
> send the patch for that one.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Unfortunately we have essentially no control over the content of that
example text.  It's provided by the underlying CollabNet infrastructure,
which assumes that everything interesting will be under the top-level
trunk directory.

(Well, I suppose we could implement some disgusting javascript hack to
 rewrite the text in the box... ugh.)

If this really is a problem for people we could consider rearranging the
top-level structure of the svn repository, though that would break some
existing downstream trees such as mjw's svn-driven hg mirror [1].

- Mark

[1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/distro-pkg-dev/2007-June/000102.html