Project proposals

Ray Gans Ray.Gans at Sun.COM
Fri May 25 00:43:29 UTC 2007

In my opinion, there should generally be a fairly low bar to jump
over to get a project approved -- it should be relevant to OpenJDK of
course (i.e., text editors, games, etc. belong somewhere else), but
research is usually a good thing, even if the direction isn't
necessarily the focus of the majority. Groups should sponsor projects
that their memberships want associated with the group -- not because
they think a project is worthy of being added to the main source
distribution, but because the project is relevant to that group's
focus area, or that it someday might be. I would expect that
discussions about such projects could naturally occur on the group
mailing lists and be of interest to some of the group's participants.

Groups of course have the ability to define the height of the
acceptance bar because their members get to vote. If that bar is set
too high, however, projects will be created somewhere else and not in
OpenJDK -- which sometimes is appropriate -- but shouldn't occur so
often that people feel unwelcome to participate. Hopefully, group
members won't often propose projects that are really terrible ideas
or inappropriate for a group. And while I certainly don't think we
want to create a community of half-baked abandoned projects, I do
believe we want to enable people who are excited about working
together to solve problems or try out new directions. Disk space is
cheap, ideas are not.

-Ray