Porting: Mac OS X Leopard

Landon Fuller landonf at threerings.net
Mon Nov 5 19:21:04 UTC 2007

Given the recent discussion of porting, it was suggested I send this
along to the discuss@ list.

I've long wondered what it would take to get the FreeBSD Java Port
running on OS X, so this weekend I spent a couple days getting Java
1.6 running on my x86 Leopard machine. I can report partial success
-- hotspot compiles, the jre mostly bootstraps, and Hello World runs.
Anything complex appears to trigger stack alignment issues (Apple's
i386 API requires a 16-byte aligned stack)

	landonf at max:javasrc_1_6_jrl/control/build/bsd-i586> ./bin/java -version
	java version "1.6.0_03-p3"
	Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_03-p3-
landonf_04_nov_2007_00_06-b00)
	Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 1.6.0_03-p3-
landonf_04_nov_2007_01_30-b00, mixed mode)

	landonf at max:javasrc_1_6_jrl/control/build/bsd-i586> ./bin/java Hello
	Hello World!

Given this, it seems that getting the full JDK running on OS X (using
X11, no Aqua) is fairly achievable. I've posted the code,
description, etc, here:
	http://landonf.bikemonkey.org/code/macosx/FreeBSD_Java_16.20071105.html

Cheers,
-landonf