Format for JDK 6/7 changeset comments?

Neal Gafter neal.gafter at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 17:29:47 UTC 2007

On Nov 6, 2007 9:03 AM, Kelly O'Hair <Kelly.Ohair at sun.com> wrote:

> I favor keeping it short and sweet, and use the bug database for all other
> information.
> A place that can be corrected and added to over time.

Agreed. This assumes the bug database is open for writing by committers and
reading by the larger community.

Sun is in a position to control the bug database to hide bugs that describe
security problems. That is fine and I expect it to continue, but I have seen
a number of cases of bugs being hidden because the problems they describe
are embarrasing. Unfortunately (1) such problems then don't get fixed, and
(2) even if it is too late to fix the issues, by sweeping them under the rug
we don't learn from past mistakes.

My point is that in order for committers to have confidence in this
approach, Sun should give up some of their editorial/censorship role over
the bug database.