Format for JDK 6/7 changeset comments?

Andrew Haley aph at redhat.com
Wed Nov 7 11:47:35 UTC 2007

Kelly O'Hair writes:

 > Mercurial changesets should not be created until the change has
 > been reviewed and is ready to be integrated into a public area.

 > Changes that are untested, unreviewed, or experimental should stay
 > as patches, at least that's my opinion after using Mercurial for
 > some time.

 > If we allow completely unreviewed and untested changesets into the
 > repositories, we run the risk of severe changeset clutter. They
 > don't have to be perfect, but we need some kind of quality control
 > on them.

Sure, but that seems to be orthogonal to what I wrote.

I am trying to make sure that all the information about every change
is in a searchable form that doesn't require special software.  I'm
trying to make sure that if (God forbid) a nuke fell on Sun central,
everyone else would just carry on with their work, with all of the
information they need easily to have.

I'll explain what we do at GNU, and why I think it's a good thing.

The comment we write for a change is written and submitted for review
along with the patch.  When the patch is approved, this pre-written
comment is used for the version control commit.  So, when you look at
a patch submission you can immediately tie it with the commit.

 > People need to try the mq extension (myself included), which may
 > provide some answers here.
 >
 > And the notifications of changesets that have been integrated can
 > include the diffs, but when you can easily and quickly browse the
 > changeset, I'm not so sure you need to send all the diffs.

Agreed, but that's a matter of making sure that the changeset, once
checked in, really was exactly the same as what was reviewed.
Redundancy here is a good thing.

 > But that's a changeset notification issue, not a changeset comment
 > format issue.

True enough.

Andrew.

--
Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903