Format for JDK 6/7 changeset comments?

Neal Gafter neal at gafter.com
Fri Nov 9 20:50:20 UTC 2007

On Nov 9, 2007 12:15 PM, Andreas Sterbenz <Andreas.Sterbenz at sun.com> wrote:

> Neal Gafter wrote:
> >
> >     Anyway, the main issue is that there is a lot of value in having all
> >     relevant information about a bug stored in ONE central place, which
> >     is the
> >     bug database. If you feel differently, then we'll have to agree to
> >     disagree.
> >
> > If the result is a situation that is convenient for you at the expense
> > of inconvenience for outside openjdk developers, agreeing to disagree
> > isn't a very palatable solution.
>
> The only thing we are talking about here is whether the changeset comments
> should include the names of the code reviewers. Are you saying it would be
> an inconvenience for non-Sun developers if they don't?

My mistake; I didn't realize "all relevant information" meant the names of
code reviewers.

Two advantage of having code reviewers named in the changeset are (1)
reviewers would get well-deserved developer community Karma for reviewing
changes, and (2) Software archaeologists would have more information about
who they might need to consult to resolve future issues with the code.

But I agree this isn't as important as other information that does belong in
the changeset comments, such as an explanation of the strategy for the
change.