Symbol ``['' and a java.net.URI.create method

Michal Vyskocil mvyskocil at suse.cz
Tue Apr 29 15:30:46 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm working on adopting of jpackage project to openSUSE and got a problem with
build of maven. The jpackage's folks have a script build-jar-repository,
which symlinks the jar files in /usr/share/java to defined dir.

My problem is, that the script produces a links in this
form - /foo/bar/[ant].jar which later causes an IllegalArgumentException,
because a java.net.URI.create dissallows ``[]'' in URI. The response from
jpackage is, that java.net.URI.create has a bug, because symbol ``['' is
valid in a Unix path.

I'm testing several JRE implementations, but only gcj allows the ``[]'' in
URI, other ones not.

What do you think about? Is this really a bug in handling of unix filenames?

Regards
Michal Vyskocil