Heads Up: JDK 7 Linux platforms moving to Fedora 9

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Fri Dec 19 08:52:47 UTC 2008

build 42 has come, and the JDK binaries no longer work on my
system (32-bit Ubuntu dapper).  java -version gives
an instant crash with "floating point exception".
Not very friendly.

I have always liked the fact that in the past Sun's JDK engineers
put in great effort to ensure that JDK binaries work on
a large variety of systems, generally by being built on
some old unloved machine in the closet.

I believe using Fedora 9 for official binaries is
excessively aggressive.
Like the JDK itself, operating systems (like Ubuntu
"Long Term Support") tend to have about a
5-year support lifespan.  Fedora 9 is just too young.

I suggest using a build machine that, like Ubuntu dapper,
has a glibc 2.3, which was the first release with NPTL.
More specifically, I recommend glibc 2.3.6.

Or more generally, try to support popular platforms
for at least 5 years of life.

Martin