Feedback request: OpenJDK Community Innovator's Challenge Grants

Andrew John Hughes gnu_andrew at member.fsf.org
Mon Jan 7 13:08:30 UTC 2008

On 07/01/2008, Andrew Haley <aph at redhat.com> wrote:

> Andrew John Hughes writes:

> > > That's how IcedTea works.
> >
> > It doesn't do anything native, AFAIK -- it just creates a
> pseudo-bootstrap
> > JDK.
>
> What does "it doesn't do anything native, AFAIK" mean?  I can't tell
> if you agree with me or not.
>
> Andrew.
>
> --
> Red Hat UK Ltd, Amberley Place, 107-111 Peascod Street, Windsor,
> Berkshire, SL4 1TE, UK
> Registered in England and Wales No. 3798903

I interpreted the question (perhaps wrongly) as looking for a solution that
wouldn't require a Java VM and class library i.e. that there would be a
preliminary step that created a native toolchain of javac, etc. which could
then be used to bootstrap the OpenJDK in full. IcedTea only does half of
this; it creates the pseudo-bootstrap environment using ecj and a Java VM,
but this is not native.  I'm not sure how much of an issue that is, as you'd
still need libgcj to run the native binaries.  So I suppose I half agree
with what you said... :D
--
Andrew :-)

Help end the Java Trap!