Feedback request: OpenJDK Community Innovator's Challenge Grants

Andy Tripp openjdk at jazillian.com
Mon Jan 14 22:58:22 UTC 2008

Tom Marble wrote:
> Ray Gans wrote:
>
>> - Proposals will be accepted until March 3, 2008. At this time the
>> proposals will be judged by a team of people (we're thinking 2 from Sun
>> and 3 from outside Sun).
>>

> Here's a challenge that I see... we want "qualified" judges: developers
> that are familiar with the OpenJDK code base.  However if we find
> three judges from the community we may have just eliminated 3 great
> potential applicants.
>
> What if we chose all 5 judges from Sun employees -- who are not
> qualified to apply anyway?

I think that would make a lot of sense. My first reaction was "no, it
should be more open",
but then I realized that they're really just judging who should get some
money from Sun.

Also, I don't think all 5 need to be deeply involved with the code base.
It might help to
bring a bit of "business perspective" about what projects would really
help OpenJDK,
in addition to what's feasible.