DRAFT Community Awards Rules

Andy Tripp openjdk at jazillian.com
Wed Jan 16 16:49:49 UTC 2008

>    of up to10 individuals. An individual may enter the contest no more
>    than one time, whether as a single individual or as a member of a
>    team.
Why limit people/groups to just one proposal?

>            Entries may have only limited dependence on Sun
>            involvement/participation and may not require a commitment
I'd change both "may"s to "must".

>         e. All work on Proposals, including without limitation
>            communications among team members, and any source code or
>            information repositories associated with the Proposal must
>            be accessible to all developers visiting the OpenJDK
>            Project website, and must be done in the open.
I think it's a bit harsh to require all communication among team members to
be in the open. It's fine to require all code and email, but it's not
reasonable
to require verbal communication be documented.
>         a. Qualifications and prior experience of Entrants, including
>            project management expertise, demonstrated technical
>            knowledge, and proven experience working on F/OSS projects.
I would change "F/OSS projects" to "Java projects" or something
vague like "relevent software projects". No need to exclude those
who haven't been working on F/OSS projects.

>     In the event that more than one Proposal is
>    received with the same or nearly identical idea, only the first such
>    Proposal received will be eligible, based on the date of the first
>    draft submission of the Proposal to the Contest entry mailing list.

I would change this to "...all such Proposals will be considered, and only
one will be chosen, based on the criteria in section 5."

On the issue of the dollar amounts, I'm worried that someone might put
together
a proposal with the idea that "If I can get $75000 or more this will be
worth my time",
only to find that 7 good proposals have been submitted, and so he may
then withdraw
the proposal. No way around that problem, I guess.

I also wonder if the Judges would naturally take into consideration
which projects
may get done anyway, even without the reward. The judges might naturally
say "well, that
project is already started and clearly going to be done anyway...". So,
in all fairness,
using that criteria should be explicitly allowed or disallowed here.

Andy