IRC logging of #openjdk

Svante Schubert Svante.Schubert at Sun.COM
Thu Jul 31 08:56:57 UTC 2008

Andrew Haley wrote:
> David Herron wrote:
>
>> Brian Matzon wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> I talked to 'robilad' on IRC and he asked me to send this to the
>>> discuss list.
>>>
>>> I would like to get confirmation for running an IRC logging service in
>>> the irc channel.
>>>
>>> The service has been running for several other projects such as
>>> #eclipse, #haiku, #macports and others - and provides an invaluable
>>> resource for getting information about projects and issues within.
>>>

> I doubt it, frankly.
>

>>> I realize that some people do not like logs being published, which is
>>> why I wanted to confirm this before publishing anything.
>>>

> Some people are sometime intemperate.  This includes me.  The one
> saving grace about IRC is that there aren't usually public logs.

In the W3C all meetings are held with an IRC and logs are available.
For the semantic web group the logs are always public available and I
used the search of the IRC logs often.
If overall advantage if you give advice, you do not have to repeat it on
the next day, but can refer to the log.

You might want to mention the logging in the title subject, when
entering the IRC channel, so someone as Andrew, who does not really like
logging, can be aware that it is a logged channel.

my 2 cents,
Svante