Heads Up: JDK 7 Linux platforms moving to Fedora 9

Kelly O'Hair Kelly.Ohair at Sun.COM
Sat Nov 22 18:11:04 UTC 2008

To clarify a little, yes this means gcc4, or whatever the default
gcc/g++ on the Fedora 9 system is, if Fedora 9 changes it, we change too.

I would not read too much into the pick of Fedora 9, we needed to pick one
that we could focus on, the important message is that we want to advance
a newer Linux system. If a new Fedora releases we might even change to it,
we want to be as flexible as possible.

Our hope is that the OpenJDK developers will use lots of different
Linux systems and gcc compiler versions in their day-to-day development
work, reporting any issues they run into.

I know there are lots of things we can do to improve the build situation,
this one was considered a major first step.

-kto