Request for comments: New Bugzilla-based contribution process

Mark Reinhold mr at sun.com
Thu Feb 19 06:16:00 UTC 2009

> Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:49:17 -0800
> From: Neal Gafter <neal at gafter.com>

> Is there any mechanism for contributors or committers to "claim" a bug -
> that is, notify others that they're working on it - other than email?  Given
> the contribution process you outlined, the main mechanism seems to be
> creating a bugzilla bug,

Right.

As stated this process doesn't really have a "claim" mechanism, since
presumably you'd like to claim a bug before doing a lot of work on it.
Perhaps the process should suggest that you create a Bugzilla entry first
in order to stake a claim, and then attach the patch and request a
sponsor once your work is complete.  If two or more developers want to
argue about the best way to fix a bug then they can do that in Bugzilla,
where a record will be kept for all to see.

>			   but is there any way to see that the bugzilla bug
> has been created from the bugs.sun.com page?

That'd be ideal, but unfortunately it takes an absurdly long time to get
even the most trivial types of changes made to bugs.sun.com.  To see if
someone is working on a particular Sun bug I'm afraid the best approach
will be just to search all bugs.openjdk.java.net bugs for comments
containing the Sun bug's seven-digit id.

- Mark