Request for comments: New Bugzilla-based contribution process

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 16:07:54 UTC 2009

Sorry for cross-posting, but I think the two threads are related and
this post belongs into both of them:

Just to name a current issue and demonstrate how complicated it may be
to follow the development process, lets consider Bug ID: 6622432 (RFE:
Performance improvements to java.math.BigDecimal):

On the mailing lists, there was a Request for review:

http://www.mail-archive.com/core-libs-dev@openjdk.java.net/msg01095.html
http://webrev.invokedynamic.info/xiaobin.lu/6622432/

But I couldn't see a changeset for the bug. So apparently it is not in
any of the OpenJDK 7 repositories (at least I couldn't find it).

On the other hand, the Bug says "State, 8-Fix Available". Brad wrote
"When the fix is put into one of the gates, the fix goes to "fix
available" in bugtraq.  It's the gatekeepers who mark as Fix
Delivered." So apparently, the change went into a closed "gate".

I would guess it could be the "JDK6 RE build" Mercurial repository
mentioned by James Melvin in another thread
(http://www.nabble.com/How-to-host-HS14-stable--%28Was%3A-RFC%3A-Change-name-of-default-HotSpot-to-%27default%27%29-tp22053363p22053363.html)
because the list of fixed bugs for JDK 6u14 b01
(http://download.java.net/jdk6/6u14/promoted/b01/changes/JDK6u14.list.html)
lists 6622432 as fixed. But this is in contradiction to the status of
the bug which is  "State, 8-Fix Available".

So I assume there must be another Bug Id for the same problem, but
neither could I find it in the bug database, nor is there a link from
Bug 6622432 to this other bug.

So keeping track of all these bugs and codelines is already quite
difficult and shouldn't be even more complicated by the new model...

Regards,
Volker