What is the equivalent path?

Kelly O'Hair Kelly.Ohair at Sun.COM
Mon Feb 23 16:53:17 UTC 2009

In general, it is considered a bad practice to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH in your
environment, most tools should not depend on this variable.
It can impact every process started up on a system, causing everyone to look
in these directories repeatedly, for every shared library loaded,
ahead of the system library locations.

Granted some of the java startup scripts might set LD_LIBRARY_PATH, for
the execution of that process and process tree, but many consider even a
startup script that is forced to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH flawed.
But at least it's set in a limited way.

I myself try hard to not set either of these variables, and just rely
on the 'java' in my PATH, but JAVA_HOME has a long history, and some
Java tools may require it being set.

Since I don't know where you got the OpenJDK6 binaries, nor what kind
of OS and arch you are using, it's hard to comment on where the i386 directory
is, but what I'm saying in general is that you should not need to know.

-kto