OpenJDK and JNI -- licensing

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Mon Jul 20 05:22:26 UTC 2009

One fundamental queston is when something becomes a
"derived work".

The FSF has been known to strongly suggest that
linking two pieces of software creates a derived work,
but the FSF cannot decide that.

I imagine some lawyer at Sun thought as follows:

Whether an API is a published standard influences
whether or not a client of that API
is considered a separate work or not.
Most (but not all) of the interfaces to hotspot are
specified by a JCP standard (and that includes jni),
and this standard has multiple implementations,
so it is reasonable to presume that linking with
hotspot is not creating a separate program,
when not using the non-standard interfaces
(like sun.misc.Unsafe).  One can further presume
that one can use any interfaces for which the interface
specification file (e.g. a C header file) has the
Classpath exception.

In any case, it would be good for Sun to clarify its position.
In particular, engineers need to understand the policy
when creating a new source file.

Martin