Deploy a Decimal FP co-processor with openJDK, is it possible?

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 13:32:12 UTC 2009

As a starting point, you can have a look at the webrev for:

6622432: RFE: Performance improvements to java.math.BigDecimal
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/hotspot-dev/2009-February/001226.html

which is a performance improvement for BigDecimal. This implies that
the BigDecimal implementation is in the OpenJDK.

In order to gain full advantage of your FP-coporocessor, you would
probably have to natively reimplement or intrinsify some of the
methods of BigDecimal. This will however probably only pay off for big
numbers.

Regards,
Volker