OpenJDK projects promoting proprietary builds

Andrew John Hughes gnu_andrew at member.fsf.org
Sun May 31 00:17:40 UTC 2009

2009/5/31 Geir Magnusson Jr. <geir at pobox.com>:

> On May 30, 2009, at 7:20 PM, Dmitri Trembovetski wrote:
>

>> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi David,

>>> Why?  For heaven's sake... why?
>>
>>  Because the corresponding open source parts aren't good enough yet and we
>> don't have enough resources to make them on par with the proprietary bits
>> although this is what we want in the long run.
>>
>>  Specific parts that I know of are color management, AA shape rasterizer
>> and font rasterizer.
>
> It's been how many years that you've had to re-write?
>

>From my perspective at least, if Sun aren't shipping it, they have no
motivation to fix it.  If they were shipping OpenJDK builds and
getting bugs filed against them, then the priority of fixing these
issues would be much higher.  As is, the next JDK release or previous
u bump is always going to take precedence and it will simply never get
done.

As a first step, it at least needs to be narrowed down to specific
issues.  Just saying 'it isn't as good' is of no use to anyone wanting
to work on this.  This same little quote has been thrown about for two
years now and nothing has changed much in the last year to suggest
we're going to see any progress ever.

--
Andrew :-)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8