How to make a java app install-able...?

Tom Marble tmarble at info9.net
Sun Feb 14 03:29:24 UTC 2010

Denis Lussier wrote:
> As long as your application is GPL open source, you
> can ship an appropriate OpenJDK 6 Windows or Linux
> binary along with your app.  You can compile the OpenJDK
> binaries yourself or you can get them at http://openscg.org.

There are at least two confusions going on here.
First, some assumption that the license choice of the Java
application is in some way dependent upon the license choice of
OpenJDK (see the FAQ [0]).

Second that redistribution of OpenJDK is somehow dependent
on the license choice of the application.  Redistribution
is one of the core freedoms (#2) of Free software [1].

Even the most ardent Apachians in our community (Hi Geir!)
wouldn't disagree with such a basic licensing interpretation.

> On Sat, Feb 13, 2010 at 3:00 AM, arshad <arshad3m at gmail.com> wrote:
>> hi all,
>> this is my first message to the list, and i hope i can benifit from this
>> list.
>>
>> i want to know how to make a java application, which i built using
>> netbeans to be install-able in linux and windows machine.

To this, the original question, we can suggest that most natural
format for redistribution on GNU/Linux systems is the native
packaging format [2] [3] [4].

Indeed the OpenJDK part of this job is already done for you
in popular distributions.

The lack of packaging system on Windows means your
options are less straightforward. You may choose a
web distribution model [5] or a native installer approach [6]
(note: this reference is in no way an endorsement of this product).

Regards,

--Tom

[0] http://www.sun.com/software/opensource/java/faq.jsp#g6
[1] http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html