Found OpenJDK 6 windows build at www.openscg.com/se/

Dr Andrew John Hughes gnu_andrew at member.fsf.org
Wed Nov 3 16:17:01 UTC 2010

On 3 November 2010 00:49, Fernando Cassia <fcassia at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 7:33 PM, Dr Andrew John Hughes
> <gnu_andrew at member.fsf.org> wrote:
>
>> Our Free plugin and Web Start implementation have now been split out
>> into the icedtea-web project which should see its first independent
>> release soon.  We'd certainly be interested in seeing this ported to
>> other platforms.
>> --
>> Andrew :-)
>>
>> Free Java Software Engineer
>> Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)
>
> Why not make it part of OpenJDK, so the user only has to install
> openJDK to get a fully functional java installation ? (both JRE and
> browser plug-in and Java Web Start) ??.

There are a number of legal issues with doing this and no advantages.
In fact, it would probably make development on the plugin & NetX even
slower than it was as part of IcedTea.

> Why confuse the users with yet-another-package name? What´s the
> rationale for "splitting" the plug-in into "Icedtea" which AFAIK is
> redundant and useless in spite of the availability of OpenJDK?.

See my other mail; IcedTea is what you've been using already in your
favourite GNU/Linux distribution.

--
Andrew :-)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://openjdk.java.net

PGP Key: 94EFD9D8 (http://subkeys.pgp.net)
Fingerprint: F8EF F1EA 401E 2E60 15FA  7927 142C 2591 94EF D9D8