OpenJDK bug database: DRAFT Developer Workflow

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Sat Dec 17 00:18:59 UTC 2011

Hi Iris, Georges,

OK, I see the problem with "end user" bugs if these are really
"millions" per year.

But than please seriously consider giving any OpenJDK Participant
(anybody who subscribed to an OpenJDK mailing list) or at least any
OpenJDK Contributor (Participants who have signed the OCA) the right
to directly submit bugs into the "real" bug system. I don't think that
there will be millions of these people (the current list of Oracle
Contributor Agreement signatories at
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/community/oca-486395.html currently
lists ~1400 signatories) and I don't suppose they will submit more
than some hundreds or perhaps thousands of bugs. On the other hand if
somebody signed the OCA I think this is a strong indication that he
seriously  wants to contribute to the OpenJDK and I think most of the
reports from these people will be high quality bug reports.

There's nothing more annoying for a developer who has identified and
fixed a bug in the OpenJDK than first going trough the process of
asking sombody at Oracle to please open a "real" bug report for the
issue before he can actually file an "official" request for review
with a valid bug ID.

Regards,
Volker