OpenJDK JRE & Embedded Devices

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Tue Feb 1 14:16:24 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 15:03 +0100, stephane.jeanjean at orange-ftgroup.com
wrote:
> I don't need to modify OpenJDK to work on this device. It seems to be
> OK with the GPL licence but it seems that patents could be an issue.

Patents are granted through the GPL by all contributors to OpenJDK:
http://en.swpat.org/wiki/Java_and_patents

"OpenJDK is has been distributed by Oracle under GPLv2. GPLv2 includes
two implicit patent licences, so users of OpenJDK should be safe, and
modified versions of OpenJDK should also be safe (even if they're
heavily modified).

The protections in the GPL are unconditional. The software doesn't have
to comply with any specifications in order to benefit from these
protections."

Cheers,

Mark