Project proposal: JDK 8

Mark Wielaard mark at klomp.org
Wed Jun 1 13:41:22 UTC 2011

Hi Mark,

On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 09:52 -0700, mark.reinhold at oracle.com wrote:
> Per the interim governance guidelines for Projects [1] I hereby propose
> the creation of a new Project, JDK 8.  The primary goal of this Project
> will be to produce an open-source reference implementation of the Java
> SE 8 Platform, to be defined by JSR 337 [2].
>
> [1] http://openjdk.java.net/projects
> [2] http://www.jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=337

Heay, this is really good news. I was so disappointed that JSR 336
didn't have an open source reference implementation [1]. It is great to
see the intention of actually creating one for Java SE 8 now. But note
that the current JSR 337 legal notice (section 2.18) still says the
reference implementation will be under the same horribly community
unfriendly terms as JSR 336. Seeing you are actually that spec lead,
please update that section to proudly proclaim this time the reference
implementation will actually be under the GPL!

Thanks,

Mark

[1]
http://gnu.wildebeest.org/blog/mjw/2010/11/28/moving-java-forward-through-the-jcp/